Skip to content Accessibility What's New Complain or Comment Website Feedback Form
Lcc weebsite fox logo for printing

SENDIASS (Special educational needs and disability information, advice and support service)

What is SEND Information Advice & Support Service?
Service aims
What do we provide?
Young people
Information and advice provided
Family Support Groups
What is an Independent Parental Supporter?
Contact us

What is SEND Information Advice & Support Service?

SEND Information Advice & Support Service is a confidential and impartial service that supports families who have children with Special Educational Needs (SEN). We support parents and carers and children and young people aged 0 to 25 years with any educational issues.
We were previously known as the Parent Partnership Service

The Service aims to:

  • Provide information and support to enable parents/carers, children and young people to participate fully and make informed decisions about the outcomes they wish to achieve
  • Ensure the views, wishes and feelings of the child or young person and their parents/carers are heard and valued by all professionals
  • Develop positive relationships between parents, children, young people, schools, colleges, the local authority and voluntary organisations, in order to achieve positive outcomes
Children/Young people do not need to have a statement of special educational need/Education Health Care Plan or a medical diagnosis of disability to access SEND Information Advice & Support Service.

What do we provide?

  • Telephone helpline
  • Helping you to prepare for and supporting you at meetings
  • Individual casework support
  • Help with writing letters and completing forms
  • Help to understand what support can be offered to a child or young person with SEN and/or disability without an education health care plan in place. This could be in early years, school or further education setting
  • Multi agency monthly support groups
  • Support to parents/carers and young people during an education health care assessment
  • Access to an Independent Parental Supporter if requested – this is subject to availability
  • Advice and support in relation to appeals to the SEN and disability tribunal
  • Help if things go wrong and advice on complaints relating to SEN and/or disabilities including those related to health and social care
  • Help if your child is excluded
  • Providing support to access/manage mediation
  • Explaining the disagreement resolution process
  • Access to training and workshops
  • Access to a parent/carer forum
We will often work with parents and their children together but we are also able to provide a direct and separate service to children and young people.


Many children and young people will access information, advice and support via their parents but some children, especially older children, may want to access it separately. Under these circumstances we will work individually and impartially with the child.

Young people

You will receive confidential and impartial information, advice and support. We will work in partnership with you so you can participate fully in decisions relating to the outcomes you may wish to achieve.
We can also work separately and impartially with both parents and young people where there is a disagreement on an issue related to SEND.

We can provide information and advice on the following:

  • Education law on SEN and related law on disability, health and social care
  • The Education Health Care assessment process
  • Education Health Care Plans (EHCP)
  • School based support for children and young people without an EHCP
  • Personalisation
  • Personal budgets
  • Complaints relating to SEND issues
  • The Local Offer (
  • Local policy and practice
  • Mediation
  • Dispute resolution
  • Providing information leaflets on SEND
  • Exclusions
  • Disability Discrimination
  • Transition

Family Support Groups

We provide in conjunction with Menphys SOS. Parents and Carers Council and Face to Face county wide drop in support groups for parent and carers with children aged 0 – 25 years with additional needs or disability.  Why not drop in for a chat or information?
Countywide Family Drop-In times & venues (PDF, 111Kb)

What is an Independent Parental Supporter?

An independent parental supporter is a trained volunteered who can help families with the Special Educational Needs process.
An independent Parental Supporter can:
  • Listen to your concerns about your child's education
  • Support you at meetings concerning your child's special educational needs
  • Provide information and guidance on where to get further information about special educational needs
  • Explain the special educational needs process to you
  • Talk through the options available for your child
  • Help you to ensure that your child's views are heard
  • Sort out the paperwork with you
  • Help you to write your views
An Independent parental Supporter cannot:
  • Make decisions for you
  • Impose their personal views on you
  • Attend meetings in your absence
  • Help you with every family problem - their role is to help you with special educational needs issues
  • Write reports in your absence

Contact us

Parents feedback form
SEND Information Advice & Support Service
Abington House
85 Station Road
LE18 2DP
Telephone No: 0116 3055614
Email Address:
9.00 - 4.30 Monday to Thursday
9.00 - 4.00 on Fridays

Page Last Updated: 18 August 2015