The County Flag of Leicestershire
The County flag of Leicestershire incorporates the devices of four important County families, and members of three of these became Earls of Leicester.
The flag is divided into four quarters, the first and fourth being white and the second and third being red. Each quarter is “charged with” ie shows, the Arms of one of these families.
The first quarter is a cinquefolium, or five petalled ermine flower, within a red circle, which belonged to the Beaumont family. In 1103 Robert de Beaumont was made the first Earl of Leicester. The cinquefolium was also adopted for the City of Leicester’s Arms. The Earldom in due course passed through the sister of the fourth Earl (FitzParnel) to her husband Simon de Montfort (1206-1264) whose Arms were a white lion with two tails on a red ground which is shown on the second quarter.
The third quarter shows the badge of John of Gaunt (another Earl of Leicester) which is an ermine plume on a red ground. The fourth quarter shows a black maunch, or sleeve of a medieval lady’s dress, which is the badge of the Hastings family, who built castles at Kirby Muxloe and Ashby-de-la-Zouch in the fifteenth century.
Page Last Updated: 21 July 2014