Snibston Country Park
The grounds of Snibston Discovery Park form a mini Country Park covering over 40 hectares of mixed habitats. The grounds include the former colliery spoil heap which has been reclaimed to form woodland and an open rough grassland area.
At the heart of the Country Park is the Grange Nature Reserve. Once the gardens of the Colliery Manager, it is now an important ecological site for wildlife. The Grange Nature Reserve became Leicestershire County Council’s first Local Nature Reserve in May 1993.
Brand New Guide for Snibston Country Park
A brand new guide is now availabale for Snibston Country Park. Pick up your copy now from selected Leicestershire libraries, museums, TICs, hotels and visitor attractions, or download your copy here now [pdf 5mb]
- Ashby Road, Coalville, LE67 3LN. Take the first left after the museum car park and follow the signs to the nature reserve
- FREE car parking - designated areas near the woodland and fishery
- Bus Routes:
- Arriva 9 (starts in Leicester as 29, then changes number in Coalville but passengers can remain seated) (Mon- Sat)
- Arriva 9A (starts in Leicester as 29A, then changes number in Coalville, but passagers can remain seated) (Mon - Sun)
- Veolia Airlink 155 (Mon - Sat)
- Contact Traveline for more information
- Location Map
- Detailed map of Country Park
- Open daily at the following times:
March - October
November - January
8am - 5pm
8am - 6pm
8am - 4pm
(Toilets, shop, and cafe are all available in the museum)
Note there is a height restriction barrier of 2.1 metres. If the barrier is closed it can be opened on request during Museum opening hours. Please call 01530 278444 or contact a member of staff inside the Museum.
Things to See and Do
- Various sculptures
- A late Victorian arboretum with a diverse range of mature native and foreign species of tree
- A wetland area with boardwalk, an established wildflower meadow and two well-stocked fishing lakes
- Links to adjoining footpaths to the wider countryside
- Excellent vantage points from which you can view the surrounding countryside.
The Western Team rangers have a number of different volunteer groups. The Thursday Group regularly work at Snibston Country Park throughout the year.
The different habitats found at Grange Local Nature Reserve make it a great place to spot wildlife. See the Wildlife page for more details.
There are two fishing lakes at the Grange Nature Reserve with a total of 40 fishing pegs, are tailored for disabled anglers. Both lakes are stocked with a variety of fish. For more information see the Fishing at Snibston page
Check out our photos of the country park in our Photo Gallery. We'd love to see your photos from around the park too. Email them to us, and we may use them on the website!
Tel: 0116 305 5000 (8.30am - 5pm Mon - Thu, 8.30am - 4.30pm Fri). Outside of these times, emergencies only please.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Emails are checked during the week only. You will not receive a response to your email at weekends or Bank Holidays.
Page Last Updated: 3 December 2013