O - Z
- Onlineplanningoffices.co.uk - a central source of planning information across the UK
- Planning Inspectorate - includes guidance on making planning appeals
- 192.com - Electoral registers and yellow pages online
- B4Usearch.com - Free people and buiness finder. Free postcode finder and address locator
- BookData Online - Find titles in print, forthcoming and recently out of print titles in the U.K
- Bartlett's - The 10th ed. (1919) of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations
- Britannica Online Encyclopaedia - a comprehensive reference and learning resource
- Britannica Online Library Edition -junior and student edition of Britannica Online encyclopaedia
- BT phone book online
- Columbia World of Quotations (1996)
- Encyclopedia.com - search over 100 encyclpaedias and dictionaries
- Grove Art - Online database from Oxford University Press -
- Grove Music - Online database from Oxford University Press
- KnowUK - Online quick reference titles such as Whitaker's Almanac, Who's Who, etc
- NewsUK - Online database to consult national and regional UK newsapers
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography - Online database of famous people who have shaped British History
- Oxford English Dictionary Online database from Oxford University Press
- Oxford Reference - Online reference library titles from Oxford University Press
- Post Codes - a searchable directory of postcodes , but you need to register
- Roget's - 1922 ed of the Thesaurus.
- Roget's 2: The New Thesaurus 3rd Edition 1995
- Searchmuze - Online music database to locate soundtracks, titles, artists etc
- Translation site - Alta Vista - a useful translating site which can translate up to 150 words at a time
- Webster's or Your Dictionary.com - Dictionaries
- BBC Leicester - Information about local faiths and religions
- BBC Religion & Ethics - Holy days and festivals calendar
- How Stuff Works
- National Space Science Centre - in Leicester
- New Scientist Magazine
- Science a go go
- Alta Vista - Search Engine with comprehensive coverage and lots of tools to refine your search.
- Alltheweb - Claims to cover over 3 billion pages. No advertising on the site, and is very fast.
- Ask Jeeves - You can ask Jeeves questions in plain English, but the replies are sometimes more intriguing than useful. It is designed to take you directly to the answer to your question. If it cannot find it in its own directories, it searches several other engines. Some people like it a lot.
- Bing - The latest incarnation of the Microsoft search engine. This links to the UK version. Even allows you to search for "Tweets"!
- Everyclick and usewho - a new breed of search engine that donates money to charity when you use them. Not as powerful as the major search engines, but you might feel better about using them
- Freesearch - UK focused search destination with web and image search, along with British dictionary
- Google - The biggest and best known search engine on the net? Over 58 billion pages!! Packed with features including cached versions of pages in case they disappear, a powerful image search and includes PDFs, news and translations. Also has a good map feature. Has an "I feel lucky" button which returns just one site, which they say will be relevant.
- Hotbot - A large index of the Web with powerful search facilities. It is easy to limit searches to geographcal areas or to look for pictures. Now owned by Lycos, but operated separately.
- Lycos - One of the smallest indexes , and not always as up to date as the rest, but to some people its size is an advantage, as you get far less hits for your search. It also has very good Picture and Sound search facilities. Uses fast database for searches and has extensive portal content.
- Lycos UK - UK version of the above
- Yahoo UK - Has many services and is good for popular and general information. Uses the Bing search engine to search the web. The UK version.
- Yellow Pages (BT) - This is an online version of the phone books, very useful for company addresses and phone numbers. Leicester comes under the East Midlands.
Meta Search Engines
Meta Search Engines allow you to search a number of the main search engines at the same time. This way you only have to learn one set of search rules. They can sometimes be quicker than the search engines themselves.
About Search Engines
The following site gives statistics about search engine performance and provides comparative information about them
- 2001 Census Statistics
- 2001 Census Statistics and analysis for Leicestershire
- Neighbourhood Statistics - a wealth of statistics that can be searched by map or postcode
- Office of National Statistics (ONS) - includes links to foreign statistics.
- BUBL - Libraries of Networked Knowledge - This is a very good comprehensive site
- IPL2 - is a combination of the "Internet Public Library" and "Librarians' Index to the Internet"
- Pinakes - Links to various subject gateways
- BBC Radio Leicester travel index
Bus and Coach
- Door2Tour.com - Coach trips and touring holidays with local departures from Leicester plus attractions and events throughout the UK & Europe
- National Express
- 2pass.co.uk - help for learner drivers
- Driving Standards Agency - includes mock theory tests
- learnerstuff - helping learner drivers
- Motoring.gov.uk - Government portal for motorists in the UK. provides a single access point to information on motoring issues.
- The Pass - helping learner drivers
- Apply for your first provisional driving licence
- Change your address on line
- Exchange your paper driving licence for a photocard licence
- Get a replacement licence if yours is lost or stolen
- Renew your licence at 70
- Central Trains
- Midland Mainline
- National Rail - general information about the current running of train services
- Railtrack Train Timetable
- Parish walks - LCC site
- Walking in Lecestershire - More than 120 FREE Leicestershire walks to download, details of all the books, maps and walking groups in the county
Travellers' Guides and Accommodation
- Bed and Breakfast co.uk - List of B&B's and a lot more
- Bed and Breakfast co.uk - East Midlands page
- BedandBreakfastsGuide.com - Leicestershire
- Discount hotels - offer all types of accommodation from B & B's, to 5 star luxury hotels.
- Economist Business Travel site - guide to destinations
- Hotels.uk.com - accommodation directory listing Hotels in the UK.
- Leicestershire Centre of the Caravan Club
- Lonely Planet - a destination guide
- Places to visit - in the UK
- Rough Guides - another destination guide
- Smooth Hound - a list of Hotels and Guest Houses in the UK
- Sunnyseek.com - accommodation directory listing UK Hotels, Guest Houses, B&B's and Self-Catering.
- Travel UK
- Travelocity - a gateway to more travel information
- UK Travel websites - a wide ranging travel portal
History of Transport
- Three Centuries of Transport Project - includes material from Leicestershire Museums
- See also Voluntary Organisations (Local)
- Age Concern
- CareOnLine - contacts for local and national voluntary organisations
- ccp.org.uk - Website of the Community Council Partnership. Information on a wide variety of local voluntary sector agencies and initiatives.
- Community Council Partnership - Information on a wide variety of local voluntary sector agencies and initiatives.
- Do It - find out about or join the National Volunteering Database or search voluntary opportunities nationally and locally
- Infolinx - Local Voluntary Organisations
- National Volunteering Database - gives voluntary opportunities nationally and locally
- Ryder-Cheshire Volunteers - Information about volunteering in the East Midlands and opportunities
- Voluntary Action Hinckley and Bosworth
- Vountray Action LeicesterShire - Similar umbrella website for Voluntary Action groups in Leicester.
- WRVS - WRVS is one of the UK's largest charities and volunteering organisations, which aims to give older people the opportunity and choice to get more out of life.
- Leicestershire and Rutland Dragonfly Group
- Leicestershire and Rutland Ornithological Society
- Leicestershire and Rutland Osprey Project
- Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust
Page Last Updated: 27 November 2012