Support for Disabled Applicants
LCC is committed to increasing the number of disabled people it employs and have worked with organisations such as reemploy, the RNIB and Breaking the Barriers to promote our employment opportunities. The Council is working towards having a workforce that is more representative of the people it serves in terms of disability and value the contribution that all people have to make, including disabled people.
The authority is a Disability Symbol User, which means it makes five commitments:
- A guaranteed job interview for all applicants who meet the essential requirements for a job vacancy and for applicants to be considered on their abilities.
- To ensure there is a mechanism in place for us to discuss, at least once a year, with disabled employees, what we can do to ensure they can develop and use their abilities.
- To make every effort to retain in employment employees who become disabled.
- To take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate level of disability awareness needed to make the commitment work
- To review our commitments and achievements annually, to plan how to improve and to let employees know about progress and future plans.
As part of our commitment to be a Disability Symbol User, LCC will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential requirements for a job vacancy. When completing your application form, please ensure that you match your skills, experience and abilities with those detailed in the person specification.
In order to assess your suitability for a guaranteed interview, you will need to declare that you have a disability, and let us know of any adjustments you need.
Completing the application form
If you would like the application form in an alternative format, such as braille, large print, audio file and electronic formats including a Microsoft Word version, please contact the Employee Service Centre (ESC) - Telephone: 0116 305 8815,or use BT Typetalk or similar, Fax: 0116 305 6510, E-mail: email@example.com
Coming for interview
If you are invited for interview, you will be asked to identify whether there are any adjustments you require. Please tell us about any difficulties or requirements you may have. We will make reasonable adjustments wherever possible. These might include:
- Arranging transport to and from the interview
- Ensuring the building where the interview will be held is accessible
- Arranging for assistance, including sign language interpreters, lip speakers, speech-text operators or a mini-loop system
If you are invited to attend an interview you will be informed in advance of the following information:
- The location.
- Date and time, and estimated duration of the selection process.
- The format of the selection process, i.e. whether there will be tests, group discussion or if you will be required to give a presentation.
You will be given the telephone number, fax number and e-mail address of someone to contact, should you require any further information.
Interview and Tests
If you are invited to attend an interview you will be notified if tests, presentations or group discussion will form part of the selection process. If you require any adjustments or assistance, with any part of the selection process, please contact us to discuss how we can help.
Further support for disabled applicants may be available from the following:
- JobCentre Plus Disability Employment Advisers - Telephone: 0116 206 8142 (Leicester), 01455 542019 (Hinckley).
- JobCentre Plus Access to Work (ATW) Scheme - Operational Support Unit, Alexandra House, 377 Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff, CF5 1WU. Telephone: 02920 423 29, Textphone 02920 644 886
- Valuing People Support Team
Page Last Updated: 21 February 2013