Loughborough Town Centre Transport Scheme
News May 2013 - Work to start on Loughborough inner relief road
Work is set to start on 7th May 2013 on the construction of Loughborough’s new inner relief road.
The road is part of an ambitious £14.8m scheme which also includes boosting pedestrian access in the town centre and improving the Epinal Way / Forest Road junction.
Ringway Infrastructure Services will be carrying out the construction on behalf of Leicestershire County Council.
Work will include road widening, the diversion of utilities, installation of new traffic signals and drainage work will begin at a number of locations.
Work to be carried out in the first week includes:
- A full closure of Lemyngton Street between Baxter Gate & Church Gate. This is to carry out road widening, drainage works and utility diversions (gas, electricity, BT & Virgin Media).
- Leicester Road / Southfield Road junction – there will be temporary three-way traffic lights and lane restrictions so utility diversions (electricity, water, BT & Virgin Media) can be carried out.
- Derby Road / Bridge Street junction – there will be lane restrictions to carry out utility diversions (electricity, water, BT & Virgin Media).
- Bridge Street /Fennel Street – there will be temporary three-way traffic lights and lane restrictions to carry out new traffic signal installation.
Monthly updates on the progress of the scheme will be available.
The scheme plan (pdf, 2.3Mb)
The Proposals will:
- Connect those parts of the town separated by the A6 to help regenerate the town centre
- Remove most vehicles from the A6 Market Place by diverting traffic onto the completed purpose built Loughborough Inner Relief Road
- Reduce accidents in the town centre
- Provide a safe and attractive environment for people in the town centre
a) Town Centre Improvements (pdf, 5.9Mb)
- Provide high quality public transport information and waiting facilities
- Help to reduce traffic demand on the town centre road network by carrying out related junction improvements on the Loughborough A6004 Ring Road at:
a) Forest Road (pdf, 743kb)
b) Belton Road West Ext (pdf, 796kb)
Below is an artists' impression of what the town centre could look like once improvements have been completed and traffic removed from the A6.
This information is not definitive and we cannot guarantee it is a complete and up to date list of all County Council schemes. It should not be used for the purposes of compiling a property search, for accurate and up to date information for this purpose please go to the
Land Charges and Searches section.
Customer Service Centre tel: 0116 305 0001, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Page Last Updated: 7 May 2013