Road and Path Maintenance - Key Facts
Roadworks and Highway Repairs:
You may also be interested in a few key facts about the service.
Every year we:
- Look after and maintain over 4,000 km / 2,485 miles of roads
- 61,000 street lights and around 260 traffic signals
- Look after 3,000 km / 1,864 miles of public footpaths and bridle ways
- Deal with winter gritting and flooded roads
- Look after highway grass cutting
- Deal with 20,500 road and pavement repairs and potholes
- Maintain 60,000 signs and 115,000 drains
- Implement around 500 safety and traffic management schemes
We also undertake emergency work such as:
- Removing, protecting or repairing serious hazards within 2 hours of being informed
- Removing, protecting or repairing other hazards, obstructions and damage to roads and pavements which may be a danger to the people using them within 24 hours of being informed.
For more general information on the County Councils Highways, Transportation & Waste Management department visit the the relevant pages on this web site.
Page Last Updated: 20 October 2009