A47 Earl Shilton Bypass
February 2015 - Earl Shilton Bypass Survey
Almost six years after opening, Earl Shilton residents and businesses are to be asked their views on the effect of the town’s ‘Clickers Way’ bypass.
Around 4,000 questionnaires asking people about the £20m three-mile road, which opened on March 27, 2009, are being distributed this week.
The survey is being carried out as part of a Loughborough University student’s dissertation project and the results will be shared with Leicestershire County Council.
The feedback from this questionnaire will provide us with valuable insight into residents’ views on what they think the impact of the road has been, and the results will help with the planning of future schemes in the county.
Survey Questionnaire (pdf, 102kb)
If you have specific queries regarding this scheme you can contact the Customer Service Centre on 0116 305 0001. For any other queries please visit the HIGHWAY CONTACT DETAILS webpage.
Do not use a mobile phone whilst driving.
To view an overall scheme plan of the bypass, please select the following link:
Overall scheme plan (pdf format, 383 kb)
The Bypass is approximately 5km (3.0 miles) long and follows the corridor established in the Local Plan that links the A47 Hinckley Northern Perimeter Road from a new roundabout at Carrs Hill to the A47 Leicester Road north east of Earl Shilton. The Bypass is a 7.3 metre wide single carriageway with one metre wide hard strips alongside. Quiet road surfacing material was used throughout its length. A combined footway/cycleway 2.5 metre wide has been provided along the length of the Bypass with connections to the existing cycle facilities along the Hinckley Northern Perimeter Road and to the side roads at each junction.
To view scheme plans for which planning permission was granted, select the following links:
A47 (west) to Breach Lane (pdf format, 1,966 kb)
Mill Lane to A47 (east) (pdf format, 1,325 kb)
Aim and Objectives
The overall aim of the Bypass is to improve conditions along the A47 in Earl Shilton, that will enable complementary improvements to be made to the town centre in order to provide a safe, accessible and environmentally more attractive place for the local community.
The principle objectives of the scheme are:-
- to channel local through-traffic including heavy goods vehicles and congestion away from Earl Shilton onto a purpose built highway;
- to enhance the local environment in Earl Shilton by reducing the traffic problems of; severance, intimidation, noise and air pollution;
- to improve accessibility for public transport, pedestrians and cyclists by enabling an integrated package of improvements to be undertaken in the centre of Earl Shilton;
- to assist planned economic growth and developments within the town and surrounding area by providing primary or improved access;
- to enhance road safety for all users by diverting local through-traffic away from the centre of Earl Shilton and thereby reducing vehicle conflicts in the town centre, residential areas, schools and community facilities along the A47.
This information is not definitive and we cannot guarantee it is a complete and up to date list of all County Council schemes. It should not be used for the purposes of compiling a property search, for accurate and up to date information for this purpose please go to the
Land Charges and Searches section.
Leicestershire County Council: Customer Service Centre on 0116 305 0001
Page Last Updated: 23 September 2011