Leicestershire Special Educational Needs Policy
Leicestershire's SEN policy is built on:
- Commitment to comprehensive community education, which offers high quality provision to all pupils of statutory school age appropriate to their needs and all others who wish to learn.
- The entitlement of all children to receive a broad and balanced curriculum; they have a right to achieve success and fulfilment of their potential.
- The overall strategy of the Local Education Authority as a whole and national initiatives.
- Working together with parents, carers and other agencies to provide access to high quality education for children with special educational needs
- Early identification and intervention for pupils with special educational needs.
- The needs of children with SEN being met within their appropriate mainstream school wherever possible; all teachers are teachers of special needs and all schools make provision for all pupils including those with special needs in accordance with the SEN Code of Practice.
- Children with SEN being educated in their local community wherever possible and living with their own family.
- Targeted, responsive and clearly described financial arrangements made for pupils with special educational needs.
- Recognition that many factors influence whether a child has special educational needs.
Page Last Updated: 26 April 2001