How can we help?
We have a network of School Food Advisors ready to support and advise you on your school catering.
We can help you in a number of ways, including:
- Practical support in schools. We can provide advice about food and catering systems, as well as consultation on equipment and problems.
Our Advisors will even meet with contractors on site to ensure that proper standards are met when new equipment or refurbishments are being specified or implemented.
- Observations and interaction. We actively get involved to help ensure the meals provided are to the highest standards, and identify any possible improvements.
This may involve:
- audits - to help assess the quality of food provided.
- observation of lunchtime service - to see where improvements can be made.
- quality checks - of equipment and food provision, helping to give an educated but objective viewpoint.
- meeting with heads and Governors - to plan strategies and to deliver improvements.
- tasting sessions - organising school food tasting sessions for your school/parents and pupils/students.
- Healthy Schools accreditation/healthy eating education. We can provide information to help change attitudes and improve knowledge about food (such as food groups and the 'five- a -day' principal).
- Surveys. We may perform questionnaires during lunchtimes to enable our Advisors to build up detailed qualitative and quantitative data on what will and won't work within your school.
- Parents. We appreciate and understand the importance of parental support, which is why our Advisors will set up tasting sessions, attend parents' evenings, and generally be around to chat about the changes to eating.
- Help for directly managed schools. If your school directly employs its own catering staff, you have the option to buy in our services as a support package, thus ensuring all statutory requirements are met and monitored.
We can help you to organise...
- Audit packages - looking at food safety, health and safety and risk assessment.
- Training - basic, intermediate and updating existing hygiene training. We will also source any other training needs you may have.
- Service development
- Menu development - in line with national standards.
- Recruitment and induction - of catering managers.
- Environmental health - liaison with enforcement officers.
- Budgets - planning and monitoring, including the provision of profit and loss statements.
- Healthy Schools Task Groups - help with school food policies.
- Contracts - for kitchen equipment servicing.
- Kitchen refurbishment - planning and support.
Page Last Updated: 6 January 2011