Do you need to order copies of Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Partnership certificates?
The registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages began in 1837. The registers are held at the Register Office in whose district the Birth, Death or Marriage took place. Copy certificates can be obtained from the Leicestershire Register Office for events which took place in the County of Leicestershire (excluding the City of Leicester).
|If the event occurred within the City of Leicester eg. Births at the General Hospital or Royal Infirmary, your application should be sent to the: City of Leicester Register Office at Town Hall, Town Hall Square, Leicester LE1 9BG Telephone number 0116 454 1000.|
There is a charge for copy certificates. The majority of certificates are £10.00, including the short Birth certificate, but please note that these are not usually accepted by official sources, i.e. Passport Office.
Certificates can be ordered online, by post or in person. To order online, click here and complete the details on the webform. If you are unsure of the details or are tracing your family tree, then why not try searching our indexes. Leicestershire are currently in the process of putting all of their birth, marriage and death indexes online for the public to search and order themselves. Certificates will normally be despatched 3 to 5 working days from the request but a premium service is also available online.
Over the years, there have been numerous boundary changes resulting in the records for some locations being held at this office if the event occurred during one period of time but at the City of Leicester Register Office if it occurred during another period. To assist you, a list of such locations and the period(s) for which we hold the registers of births and deaths is detailed below.
To order by post, download one of the forms on this page or alternatively, write a letter to the Register Office and include the following information:
Copy Birth Certificate
- Forename(s) and surname at birth
- Date of birth
- Place of birth i.e. name of hospital or address if born at home
- Parent's full names
- Child's mother's maiden name
Copy Death Certificate
- Forename(s) and surname of deceased
- Date of death
- Place of death i.e. name of hospital or address where death occurred
- Age of the deceased
Copy Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate
- Forename(s) and surname prior to the marriage / civil partnership
- Date of marriage / civil partnership
- Place of marriage / civil partnership i.e. name of church or venue
- For Civil Partnerships copy certificates we require the full address of both parties at the time of Registration.
Copy Certificate Forms
If you would like to go ahead and order a copy certificate then please download, print out and fill in the relevant form:
- Copy Birth Certificate (PDF Document)
- Copy Death Certificate (PDF Document)
- Copy Marriage Certificate (PDF Document)
- Copy Civil Partnership Certificate (PDF Document)
Please make cheques payable to ‘Leicestershire County Council’ and allow 3 to 5 working days from receipt of request. If you are unable to supply accurate information, please allow extra time for work on your application.
Please send the completed form to:
County Register Office
Birth and death registers held (PDF, 132Kb)
Page Last Updated: 24 April 2015