Do you need to order copies of Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Partnership certificates?
The registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages began in 1837. The registers are held at the Register Office in whose district the Birth, Death or Marriage took place. Copy certificates can be obtained from the Leicestershire Register Office.
There is a charge for copy certificates. The majority of certificates are £10.00, including the short Birth certificate, but please note that these are not usually accepted by official sources, i.e. Passport Office.
Can we order copy certificates over the phone or by e-mail?
At present we are only able to deal with written applications by post or in person.
Can I apply for copy certificates in person?
Yes, but only at the Register Office at County Hall, Glenfield. Copies will be posted to you in 3-5 working days. Personal collection can be arranged.
Information required for Copy Certificates:
Below is the information you will need to give to the Registrar to obtain a copy certificate.
Copy Birth Certificate
- Forename(s) and surname at birth
- Date of birth
- Place of birth i.e. name of hospital or address if born at home
- Parent's full names
- Child's mother's maiden name
Copy Death Certificate
- Forename(s) and surname of deceased
- Date of death
- Place of death i.e. name of hospital or address where death occurred
- Age of the deceased
Copy Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate
- Forename(s) and surname prior to the marriage / civil partnership
- Date of marriage / civil partnership
- Place of marriage / civil partnership i.e. name of church or venue
- For Civil Partnerships copy certificates we require the full address of both parties at the time of Registration
Copy Certificate Forms
If you would like to go ahead and order a copy certificate then please download, print out and fill in the relevant form: -
- Copy Birth Certificate (PDF Document)
- Copy Death Certificate (PDF Document)
- Copy Marriage Certificate (PDF Document)
- Copy Civil Partnership Certificate (PDF Document)
Copy Certificate costs
Please enclose a cheque depending on the type of certificate you want
- £10.00 for a copy death, marriage and civil partnership certificate
- £10.00 for a full copy birth certificate or a short birth certificate
Please make cheques payable to ‘Leicestershire County Council’ and allow 3 to 5 working days from receipt of request. If you are unable to supply accurate information, please allow extra time for work on your application.
A postal service operates for obtaining copy birth, death and marriage certificates for events occurring in Leicestershire.
Please send the completed form to:
County Register Office
If you require further information about obtaining a copy certificate then telephone 0116 305 6565 for more information
Please note we cannot undertake searches for a given event without a formal application accompanied by the relevant fee. This means an application cannot be made by telephone or e-mail.
Applications from overseas should be accompanied by a sterling money order or a cheque drawn on a British Bank. Please include an extra 50p for postage or a self-addressed stamped envelope.
We have individual pages with all the information you will require to fill in the copy certificate form.
Page Last Updated: 1 April 2012