Skip to content Accessibility What's New Complain or Comment Website Feedback Form
Lcc weebsite fox logo for printing


Further Information

Appointment for registering a birth
Tel: 0116 305 6565

Appointment for registering a death
Tel: 0116 305 6565

Marriage and civil partnership enquiries
Tel: 0116 305 6565

General registration enquiries
Tel: 0116 305 6565

All : E-mail : Registration
Baby Image


Births in England and Wales must be registered within 42 days of the birth. Leicestershire Registration Service can register a birth that took place anywhere in the areas covered by Leicestershire County Council by going to any of its Register Offices.  
Registration by declaration
For a birth in a hospital or maternity home not in Leicestershire County Council's own area, for example in Leicester City, the details to register the birth can be given at a Leicestershire Office to send onto the office where the birth is registered. Documents are then posted back to your home address from the registering office.
Our registration offices operate on an appointment basis, so please contact the office on the relevant numbers for an appointment.

Who can register a birth?

If the parents of the child were married to each other at the time of the birth then either the mother or the father may register.  
If the parents of the child were not married to each other at the time of the birth, or at the time of the conception, then
  • the mother and father may go to the register office and sign the birth register together.
  • where the father is unable to go to the register office with the mother-
    the father may make a statutory declaration acknowledging his paternity which the mother must produce to the registrar.
    • (This form may be obtained from any registrar in England or Wales),
  • where the mother is unable to go to the register office with the father-
    the mother may make a statutory declaration acknowledging the father's paternity which the father must produce to the registrar.
    • (This form may be obtained from any registrar in England or Wales),
  • where the mother and father have made a parental responsibility agreement or either has obtained an appropriate court order – the agreement or order should be produced to the registrar by either parent.
If the father's particulars are not recorded in the birth register, it may be possible for the birth to be re-registered to include his details at a later date. You can obtain further information about how to apply for the re-registration of a birth by viewing the dedicated page.
If none of the above are applicable, please contact your local registrar who will be able to advise you accordingly.

Other people who may register a birth

If the mother or father are not able to register the birth the registrar must be advised, and can agree for the registration to be completed by whichever of the following people is best able to do so:
  • The occupier of the house or hospital where the child was born
  • A person who was present at the birth
  • A person who is responsible for the child

Short and Standard Certificates

Babies Hands Image
There are two types of certificates that you can get from the register office. For the initial record you will receive a short certificate, which is free. If you require further copy birth certificates then you have the choice of two types, for which there is a small charge: -
  • Short Certificate
A short certificate shows only the name and surname, sex, date of birth and district of birth.
In most instances a short birth certificate is not sufficient to prove your identity. If applying for a passport for the first time, you will require a standard certificate.
  • Standard Certificate
This is a full copy of the birth entry and includes everything a short certificate has plus the particulars of parentage and registration.
The fees for the copy certificates can be located on the Registration Fees page or alternatively the registrar can advise you of the current charge for extra certificates when making your appointment.

Re-registering a birth

Re-registering means making a new record in the birth register, which will then replace the original one, as the record from which birth certificates are produced. Re-registration can take place at any time, regardless of the age of the child.
Please see the re-registering a birth page for further information.

Adoptive birth certificates

An adoption certificate is a replacement birth certificate but in an adopted person's new name. It is expected to be used by an adopted person for all legal and administrative purposes in place of the original birth certificate.
Further information on Adoptive birth certificates can be found on the General Register Office Website

Page Last Updated: 26 March 2009