There’s a lot to think about when you’re choosing the right type of childcare. You may visit a provider two or three times before you make your decision.
Things to look out for checklist
- Ask to see staff qualifications
- Ask to see the Ofsted inspection
- Is the environment safe and secure?
- Do children appear content and interested in what they’re doing?
- What’s on the lunch and snack menu?
- Who supervises and how?
- How many children are there per staff member?
- Is the equipment creative, varied and high quality?
- Are the toilets clean and appropriate for children?
- What happens in case of an emergency?
- How do they promote positive behaviour?
Above all, look for an early learning and childcare provider, which is committed to working in partnership with you as a parent. Ask about how you will keep up-to-date with your child’s progress, and how you can raise any concerns. Look out for notice boards, newsletters and photos of children.
Leicestershire County Council’s Family Information Service offers impartial advice and guidance, or a tailored package of support to help you make the right decision. Contact a dedicated advisor on 0116 305 6545 or email email@example.com
Page Last Updated: 7 December 2012