Health and Wellbeing
At Leicestershire's larger libraries you will find:
- Extra health and well-being books and DVDs
- Reading Well Books on Prescription helps you manage your well-being using self-help reading. Free requests are available on these books from any Leicestershire Library.
- Staff trained to help you find health information
- Links to healthy activities and local groups
- Health checks
- NHS Choose and Book service
- Special events
- Stress busting books
- Mood Boosting Books -
- Free computer use
- Physical activity opportunities including walks in Leicestershire
Top three recommended websites
NHS Choices - These pages give information on conditions, treatments, healthy living, health news and local services.
|Social Care and Health||
People may need care and support because of their age, ill health, a disability, because they are caring for others, or during a crisis.
Index of local organisations including local health support
Other recommended online resources
HealthSpace - HealthSpace is a free, secure, online personal health organiser. It can help you to manage your health, store important health information securely, or find out about NHS services near you.
Anyone living in England, aged 16 or over, with a valid e-mail address can register for a HealthSpace account.
Choose & Book service - Choose and book your hospital appointment using this online service. You do not need to have a Health Space account to use it.
NHS Direct - Check your symptoms with the free online health guide, and get free health advice and reassurance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Child Immunisation Useful about child immunisation.
|Online Reference LIbrary||
Leicestershire Libraries’ Reference Library has a selection of online health reference titles such as the A-Z of Medicinal drugs (from Oxford Online) and Which Medicine (from Know UK).
Note: If you are not using this site from a Leicestershire Library you will need your Leicestershire Library Card number in order to access them.
|For Healthcare Professionals||Department of Health - Providing health and social care policy, guidance and publications for NHS and social care professionals.|
|For patients||Patient.co.uk is one of the most trusted medical resources in the UK, supplying evidence based information on a wide range of medical and health topics to patients and health professionals. It includes an exclusive blog by Dr Sarah Jarvis.|
- Libraries are free to join and free to use.
- All the county’s libraries have a good range of health resources and information.
- Leicestershire's larger libraries:
Page Last Updated: 14 June 2013